Are you an indie developer? Are you currently working on a new mobile, smartwatch, or handheld game?
If you’ve nodded twice you are hereby encouraged to attend our next Very Big Indie Pitch, which is taking place during Pocket Gamer Connects Helsinki on September 11th-12th.
The clue’s in the name. The Very Big Indie Pitch is the bigger sibling of our regular BIP event, which sees indie developers engage in a speed-dating-styled pitching competition for fame (oh, and a share of a promotional prize package worth $thousands).
It’s a fun but hotly contested event that has proved a genuine game-changer for teams in the past. You can get a pretty decent lowdown here.
Interested but unsure if you qualify? Got some questions? This should help:
- You can pitch games for mobile, smartwatch, and handheld
- You can pitch your game even if you’ve pitched it at a previous BIP
- We prefer to see unreleased games, though we’re happy to see games that are out too
- One submission only per developer/team
- Each successful applicant gets two free PGC Helsinki developer tickets (worth $mucho) and additional tickets for other team members are discounted
- Even if your application is not successful you’ll still get a discount!
- Deadline for entries is midnight September 11 2017 – but places fill up so the sooner, the better (entry details below)
All submissions will be notified if they are successful in their application to pitch at the event.
We’ll leave you with some top tips on how to prepare for the Big Indie Pitch and look forward to seeing you in Helsinki.
The VBIP schedule currently looks a little something like this:
Tuesday September 11th
12.30pm – Registration at the Main registration desk (it’s the only way to get a wristband in order to pitch your game)
2pm – Introduction in the VBIP area
2.05pm – Representatives from the VBIP sponsors, and fellow judges, introduce themselves
2.15pm – Pitching begins
6pm – Pitching ends, judging begins
6.30pm – Very Big Indie Pitch top 5 FINALISTS announced
Wednesday September 12th
9am-5pm – Very Big Indie Pitch Finalists Showcase
5.30pm – Very Big Indie Pitch FINAL
If you’re not familiar with the BIP format, it involves pitching your game five times to a series of journalists / publishers seated at 5 tables, like speed dating!
You will have four minutes to pitch (three minutes to show your game and a minute for feedback/questions). Once all indie developers have pitched, the judges will confer and pick the top 5 games winners.
The top 5 will then be announced in the pitching room at the end of the judges deliberation. The top 5 indies will then be given a showcase table on day 2 where you can demo your game to the show attendees.
Then at the end of the day on Wednesday (Day 2) we will introduce the top 5 to the audience, and prizes will be given to the top 3.
1st = $3000 of advertising spend on Steel Media Websites
2nd = $1,500 of advertising spend on Steel Media Websites
3rd = $1,000 of advertising spend on Steel Media Websites
- You don’t need to prepare any slides, just come with your tablet/mobile device and show the judges the game play while you talk about the game.
- Wifi can be patchy at the venues so ideally have your game offline to avoid any issues.
- You will not be pitching on stage to a room full of people! Don’t worry the meetings are between you and one or two judges per table.
- Yes you can bring your colleagues and friends to watch if you need more tickets please let me know?
- Yes do bring along any swag, stickers and business cards to give to the judges!
- Here are some tips to help you prepare
- And a useful info pack